Workshop | Sustainable and Healthy Food in Healthcare
9 October 2018, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 08:00-13:00 CEST
This workshop will take place in Nijmegen, The Netherlands, as part of CleanMed Europe’s series of pre-conference events. Please note, however, that the event is open to all, free of charge - you do not have to be registered for CleanMed Europe to attend.
About the workshop
The main objective of this workshop is to discuss common challenges and opportunities within the European healthcare sector when establishing and implementing healthy and sustainable food policies.
This workshop is designed for those interested in implementing sustainable food frameworks within healthcare facilities to ensure optimal health outcomes and to further environmental stewardship.
The workshop will begin with a facilitated discussion on challenges and opportunities in implementing sustainable food practices in healthcare.
This conversation will feature presentations from hospital representatives and academics who are experts on selected core themes such as public procurement, food waste management, food as part of patient recovery, menu design, vending machines, protected mealtimes, and staff training and welfare.
Examples of best practice and policies will be shared to inspire healthcare providers who are not yet implementing sustainable food policies, and stimulate a constructive debate for improving their respective approaches to build a sustainable food system at national, regional, and local levels.
Date & Time
9 October 2018, Nijmegen, The Netherlands (venue TBC), 08:00-13:00 CEST
8:00 - 8:30 Participants meet at Radboudumc
8:30 - 9:00 Welcome & setting the scene
- Manon van den Berg, Dietitian and Researcher, Radboudumc, The Netherlands
9:00 - 10:15 The importance of sustainable food procurement in healthcare
- Christina Schmidt, Director of Kitchen Management, Hospital Hietzing with Neurological Center Rosenhügel, Austria
- Katarina Ask, Environmental Controller, Karolinska University Hospital, Sweden
- Adriano Leli, Procurement Director, SCR Piemonte, Italy
10:15 - 10:35 Coffee break and networking
10:35 - 11:45 Food waste challenges and opportunities: examples of food waste prevention and reduction methodologies in healthcare
- Jasmien Wildemeersch, Project Manager, FoodWin, Belgium
- Yolanda Fernández Serrano, Catering Manager, The Germans Trias i Pujol Universitary Hospital, Spain
- Laura Raya, Responsible for the Dietetics Service, The Germans Trias i Pujol Universitary Hospital, Spain
11:45 - 12:55 Stepping out to the comfort zone: next steps for advancing a sustainable food policy in the European healthcare sector
- David Brasfield, Environmental Manager, Sunnaas Rehabilitation Hospital, Norway
- Ruth López de Dicastillo, Bromatologist and administrative staff, San Pedro Hospital, Spain
12:55 - 13:00 Closing remarks and next steps
13:00 - 14:30 Lunch