This report outlines the activities that New England health care systems, hospitals, and clinicians are currently engaged in through the Healthy Food in Health Care Program. It is a sampling of the innovative work underway in these facilities and details the variety of ways HFHC hospitals are using their economic power to move the marketplace toward health and sustainability.
SURVEY STATS AT A GLANCE In 2013:
- 28 health facilities worked on reducing the amount of meat they serve
- 47 worked to reduce offerings of sugar sweetened beverages
- 61 reported purchasing locally* produced foods
- 29 facilities spent a combined $4,168,577 on locally produced food and beverages
- 52 reported purchasing sustainably produced foods
- 17 facilities spent a combined $2,329,841 on sustainably produced food and beverages.