In order to develop a successful Balanced Menus program in hospitals, it is essential to evaluate the current policies, practices, access points, and product selection in place within the facility. Once you have an understanding of your facility’s food purchasing landscape, you can choose how best to initiate Balanced Menus. This information will give the food service department the framework they need to create a clear and comprehensive plan for developing and implementing Balanced Menus.
The following tools will then assist in the planning and implementing Balanced Menus:
- Statements and articles that make the case for this transition
- A survey to help communicate your preference to your suppliers
- Tools to measure your progress:
- A Balanced Menus Brochure
- Marketing materials to help you educate your hospital patients, visitors, and staff about the import steps you are taking to promote health and prevention
- Educational materials for dietitians to assist with outreach
- Our Recipe Toolkit to find recipes that meet nutritional and sustainability criteria
For more resources, and a detailed How-to Guide, enroll your hospital or health system in the Healthier Hospitals Initiative, a national sustainability agenda for the health care sector, and choose the Healthier Food Challenge.