Hospitals can improve their environmental and public health impact by focusing on the way they purchase and discard electronic equipment, including:
- When purchasing electronics, apply a total cost of ownership approach that incorporates end-of-life disposal costs in the product and services costs
- Negotiate contracts that require products and practices to meet specific environmental criteria
- Establish manufacturer take back requirements for electronic equipment at the end-of-life
- Extend the life of electronic equipment through upgrades and reuse
- Recycle old electronics with a vendor who has signed the Electronic Recycler's Pledge of True Stewardship
The video below discusses environmental and health problems caused by electronic waste and provides suggestions for responsible recycling. See our Electronics Resources page for a comprehensive list of reports, fact sheets, links, and other helpful information about electronics.