We're making it easy for health care to
feature local, seasonal foods...
Sign up for Nourished by New England.
The Healthy Food in Health Care program launched its New England program in 2008. Since that time the New England network has grown to over 150 participating healthcare facilities.
The New England Healthy Food in Health Care Program works with these facilities to leverage their purchasing power toward the creation of a sustainable, regional food system. To meet this goal we focus activities around support for foods grown, raised or caught in New England and sustainable food production in New England and beyond.
In 2016, 76% of the 85 facilities that completed our annual survey, reported purchasing local food; and 37 facilities that reported their local food spend contributed over $8.6 million to the regional economy. Half of all survey respondents reported having a policy to support their procurement of local and/ or sustainable foods.
The work of the New England program and our hospital partners is supported by a dynamic network of state-based and regional organizations. We collaborate with a variety of organizations and agencies to enhance the support available to facilities and to leverage institutional purchasing power across sectors. Participation in Farm to Institution New England and coordination with colleges and K-12 schools further advances our collective impact.
The New England Region works to create and implement regional models of the national initiatives of the Healthy Food in Health Care Program along with the following regional initiatives:
- Nourished by New England - We're making it easy for health care to support our regional food system and local producers.
Over the next four seasons, we’ll feature locally grown, raised, and harvested foods and introduce you to the farmers and food businesses who bring them to our table.
Join health care facilities from across New England in supporting the New England food system and its local producers by pledging to serve a featured seasonal food twice per month.
- Hospital Leadership Teams in each of the six New England States bring together engaged hospitals to leverage collective buying power, share innovative strategies, best practices, and product information, and learn about key issues. In addition to these procurement-focused groups, we convene a Community Food Outreach Team which brings together community benefit officers, affordable care organization managers, and community outreach specialists to increase the use of federal community benefit funds and other identified monies available to hospitals to increase access to healthy, locally-sourced, and sustainably-produced foods for their community.
- The New England Healthy Food in Health Care Ambassador Program utilizes the perspective and experience of healthcare representatives to propel existing efforts in New England and take them to the next level by rewarding and cultivating health care leaders and creating opportunities for peer learning. Meet the 2018 Ambassadors and learn about their projects.
- New England Anchors in Resilient Communities (ARC) is a multi-sector project comprised of representatives from 15 key anchor institutions in the K-12, higher education, and health sectors and non-profit organizations. The participants are representative of communities across Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. The goal of the project is to increase access to local and sustainably produced foods while simultaneously creating food systems jobs with livable wages. Participants are conducting research on the state of the New England food system with the objective of identifying a joint investment that will move them toward collective goals.
- Join a state health care leadership team or supply chain task force:
- Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine workgroups
- Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Greater Massachusetts workgroups
- Boston workgroup
- Join a state or regional Google Group to receive our quarterly regional newsletter and updates on health care food system action.
- Sign the Healthy Food in Health Care Pledge
- Join our national mailing list
- A study of four Massachusetts hospitals exploring the meat reduction strategy of blended burgers.
- The New England Healthy Food in Health Care Report 2014 outlines the activities that New England healthcare systems, hospitals, and clinicians are currently engaged in through the Healthy Food in Health Care Program.
- The New England Menu of Change Report - A 2015 New England Program report with highlights and survey.
- The Utilization of Community Benefits to improve Healthy Food Access in Massachusetts is a review of hospital efforts across Massachusetts to improve healthy food access through community benefit initiatives.
- Setting the Table for Success: A Toolkit for Increasing Local Food Purchasing by Institutional Food Service Management, developed as part of Farm to Institution New England’s Food Service Project to assist institutions in utilizing the request for proposal (RFP) and contract negotiation processes to increase purchases of local foods.
- The Farm to Hospital Questionnaire can be used to facilitate business relationships with farmers and producers and better understand one another’s needs.
- Healthy Food in Health Care state work group Project Overviews: (updated annually)
- Farm to Institution New England
- Food Solutions New England
- Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance
- Maine Farm to Institution Network
- Healthy Eating Active Living, New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Community Loan Fund
- New Hampshire Hospital Association
- Vermont Farm to Plate
- Farm Fresh Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Food Policy Council
- Hospital Association of Rhode Island
- Boston Public Health Commission
- Massachusetts Hospital Association
- Connecticut Food Systems Alliance S