Announcing the 2021 top 5 finalists
The 2021 Health Care Culinary Contest broke new barriers for plant-forward cooking, and our five finalists took the proverbial cake with plant-forward recipes as innovative and diverse as the chefs who created them.
- NYU Langone Health’s butternut squash & green pea farrotto
- Peace Health Saint Joseph’s Shoyu beet poke bowl
- Stanford Hospital’s wild mushroom birria
- Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System’s curry sweet potato power crunch bowl
- UW Health’s Afghan-style vegetable korma
We will announce the winning recipe and celebrate America’s next top hospital chef at CleanMed, the premier national conference for leaders in health care sustainability, May 10–12 in Kansas City. The winner will also be honored at the Menus of Change National Leadership Summit, June 14–16, in Hyde Park, N.Y.
Ready, set, cook! The Health Care Culinary Contest is back
Health care culinary professionals across the country are taking their menus to new levels in creativity and flavor, all powered by plants.
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth teamed up with Menus of Change, an initiative of The Culinary Institute of America and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to host our fourth Health Care Culinary Contest.
Meet the 2019 and 2020 winners of the Health Care Culinary Contest: Chef Noriel San Pedro from Stanford Health Care & Chef Nina Curtis from Adventist Health. Check out their winning recipes and hear why they think chefs should compete.
One (1) grand prize winner will receive:
- Complimentary registration for the Culinary Institute of America’s 2022 Menus of Change Summit and a person acknowledgment as winner of the contest at the Summit.
- The winning meal and the chef will be honored, at CleanMed in 2022.
- The winner will receive a $200 gift certificate to a local farm-to-table restaurant.
- The winning entry and chef will be promoted through the Culinary Institute of America, Health Care Without Harm, and Practice Greenhealth’s media channels.
Four (4) finalists will receive dinner for 2 at a local farm-to-table restaurant
Hear first-hand why your fellow chefs and foodservice pros are embracing the Plant-Forward Future...
Learn more about Plant-Forward Future, and our partners that will help health care facilities set a plant-forward goal, menu and market plant-forward dishes, and track their progress.
The grand prize winner of the 2020 Health Care Culinary Contest was: Stanford Health Care’s adobo de la tierra by Chef Noriel San Pedro.
Read an interview with San Pedro on plant-forward menus, serving comfort in COVID-19 times, and new twists on traditional meals.
And a round of applause for our finalists
- Davis Hospital and Medical Center’s sweet potato tempura and black bean tacos
- MetroHealth System’s Spanish frijoles salad with plantain chips
- NYU Langone Health’s autumn vegetable curry
- Winchester Hospital’s pumpkin seed-encrusted eggplant rollatini
Meet the chefs and hear their stories. Click on their names to download their recipes.