Hospital chefs and food service professionals, are you ready to reimagine hospital food and win a trip to Orlando? The Health Care Culinary Contest is back.
To win: Submit a plant-forward recipe that applies creative and everyday culinary techniques, celebrates flavorful food traditions, and satisfies customers.
Increase sales Diets that embrace plant proteins are trending, especially when the focus is on flavor. One in four consumers is eating less meat. Your recipe contest entry will build on this trend.
Entice new customers and improve customer satisfaction Delicious plant-forward meals are proving to satisfy customers and reaching new ones. Your entry will change expectations around hospital food and increase positive feedback for your dining service.
What is “plant-forward”? A style of cooking and eating that emphasizes and celebrates, but is not limited to, plant-based foods—including fruits and vegetables; whole grains; beans, other legumes, and soy foods; nuts and seeds; plant oils; and herbs and spices—and that reflects evidence-based principles of health and sustainability.
It's an easy change with a big payoff Plant-forward meals are created with everyday culinary techniques, are affordable to source and cook, and will increase profits. Your entry will prove how easy and budget-friendly it is to incorporate more of these meals into your food service.
Gain some celebrity Chefs, like last year’s champion Norbert Bomm from Northwestern Memorial Hospital, are making a name for themselves by reinventing hospital food. Bomm’s winning recipe went on to be adopted by more than 750 hospitals across the country.
Join the community From coast to coast and everywhere in between, health care culinary professionals are changing the way people think about hospital food, serving meals that are healthier for people and the planet, learning from each other’s successes, partnering with local farmers and food businesses, and taking their menus to new levels in creativity and flavor.
Health Care Without Harm and Practice Greenhealth teamed up with Menus of Change, an initiative of The Culinary Institute of America and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to judge recipe applicants and crown a winner to be honored at the 2020 CleanMed Conference in Orlando.
How to enter
To enter the contest, please complete the following steps, each of which is described in more detail in the official rules and judging criteria:
1) Create a qualifying recipe that follows the plant-forward philosophy, which emphasizes and celebrates, but is not limited to, plant-based foods
2) Feature and promote your recipe during the contest period
3) Submit a complete recipe and additional details using the online entry form. A PDF of the form is available for reference purposes, however, all applications must be submitted through the online entry form.
Contest runs from Oct. 1. to Nov. 30.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspiration from last year
Hospitals from across the country submitted flavorful and healthy recipes to the Health Care Culinary Contest. Eight exceptional recipes rose to the top of the inaugural contest, linking the health of people and planet by incorporating a wide variety of ingredients that were healthy, plant-forward, locally sourced, and third-party sustainably certified.
- Lehigh Valley Health Network’s turkey grain bowl
- Norton Healthcare’s miso noodle and veggie bowl
- University of Wisconsin Health’s jackfruit teriyaki
- Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital’s butternut squash enchiladas
- Castle Rock Adventist Hospital’s mushroom aquachile
- City of Hope National Medical Center’s quinoa stuffed pepper
- Licking Memorial Hospital’s garden-inspired stew